Sunday, August 14, 2011

POETICS - GOING URBAN

Once a city of Gardens,
Now a metropolitan
Once a city of natives
Is now a cosmopolitan.

Aroma of fresh coffee
Rangolis adorning the porch
Ringing of bells
The familiar sights and odours.

The sweet smell of
Freshly baked breads from the bakery
The sight of crisp dosas
Makes me droll, in the eatery.

Traditions, customs and
Celebrations
Merging with Gen next and
Modernization.

The fresh flowers, fruits and
Veggies sold on streets
The colourful bangles and trinkets
Stalls are a treat.

Neighbours smile, greet
And welcome me
Acquaintances stop by
And speak to me.

I run to her as an eager child
Runs to her mother.
She envelopes me in her bosom,
With warmth and love she smothers.



Hi All, I am from India, native of Bengaluru, an IT hub. Since I reside in Mumbai, the financial capital of India, I visit my home town once or twice a year. This poem is about my home town.  Some of the words may not be familiar to you all. Let me familiarise you with these - RANGOLIS - Rangoli, one of the most beautiful and most pleasing art forms of India, is comprised of two words, 'rang' meaning 'color' and 'aavalli' meaning colored creepers' or 'row of colors'. Rangoli basically comprises of the art of making designs or patterns on the walls or the floor of the house, using finely ground white powder along with different colors. Numerous households in the Indian subcontinent make use of Rangoli designs for decorating the courtyard of their house.

RINGING OF BELLS - Every morning tradtional pooja, a ritual in the honour of gods is done at home where bells are rung to mark the end of the pooja.

DOSAS - A typical South Indian breakfast very similar to the pancakes, made from rice batter, only they are not sweet.


11 comments:

  1. smiles. thanks for the process not so i can sully appreciate the textures...nice smells and feels of the city...and the comfort and love of her, i fell that as well...very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with bri - i could really smell and feel your city...and also your heart that so beats for her..smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the textures and colours of your city - very vibrant indeed. The ending lines are comforting as well.

    My son is in love with your food flavors, and adds a dash of spice now and then to our food.

    Nice to meet you~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you make me want for fresh bread! Such a well written piece. A great involvement of senses for us. I like very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    This is a touching and romantic portrait of your home town - very nicely done - my mouth is still watering. Thanks for the notes too.

    Arron Shilling

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe bangalore is a lot more than that ha?
    but this sure has a bangalooru tinge...

    happy independence day... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice poem.. :) n great description of Indian rituals!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Janu. Beautifully evocative. I love the way you write. You commented on my blog post over at
    http://www.thewmparentingconnection.com/2011/08/untidy-house-untidy-life.html so I want to say thank you for taking the time. I have signed on to follow your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and sharing your thought.