“You are writing only poems these days, which I don’t understand, write a blog for me, mom.”…my daughter’s complaint and plea. So, this is for her.
I find writing a poem more challenging, as we have to say so much in such a few words. And, when I get the poetry prompts from various groups I have subscribed to, I am possessed! I don’t want to just test the waters but, want to stretch my limit. Can I pull this off? Is my question every time I am faced with a challenge (of the writing type) and I usually do.,J
I have a confession to make. I do not understand the technicalities of writing a poem….nothing, nada. This after majoring in English Literature! Let me be more honest in admitting (sheepishly) I do not remember even a single poem from the world’s best poets I have read or even a line from any of the Shakespearean plays. To top it all, we had H.D. Thoreau’s “Walden”, a book revered by many writers, in our final year B.A. and I did not attend even a single class of it. The professor assigned to teach us “Walden”, used to smother us to sleep. Only the few who dared to attend were insomniacs (I now understand, why).
Recently, a Hindi movie was released, Rockstar…it was a rocking movie. Well, the hero, a singer and a big fan of Jim Morrison, fails to shine as he lacks attitude. There is a scene where he is sharing this with the canteen manager of his college. The canteen manager says, “All the creative people who have been successful have one thing in common, PAIN. Their best creativity arises when they are in pain.”
So, what has this got to do with my writing a blog? Well, I have written 4 poems and writing this one and I am in pain! Yesterday, I ran a distance of 10km and today, I could barely make 5km and my legs are screaming in pain! And so I am inspired to write…and I can’t bloody sleep.
Last ‘time’ I checked, it was 3 am and ticking…still no sign of sleep! Are we writers, creatures of the night? Nocturnal?
Pain+ insomnia = inspiration…This is my formula. Figure your formula while I toss and turn to catch some sleep.

I am noctural...and I 100% agree to your formula...its mine too.
ReplyDeleteHello.
ReplyDeletelol...poor Janu! I'm very much the nocturnal creature. It's 12:05am 5 Dec, I'm supposed to be up at 4:30am & here I am playing catch-up in Blogplicity & commenting on blogs...no wonder my wife gets upset sometimes!
As for the technicalities of poetry, I don't have a clue either...I hated school & left at 14! Over the years, I've developed my own style of writing, which works fine for me.
Hope you can get some much needed sleep.
Thanks for sharing & visiting. I appreciate your comments.
For ref:
Our Candlelight Of Love
even I agree with your formula. :) We humans always gaga for our pains and enjoy the joy peacefully, most of time not sharing it with anyone. :(
ReplyDeleteCreative people are eccentrics...I think so. My formula is simple Pain+life=Inspiration. Go to sleep now, gn.
ReplyDeleteOh, Janu, I do hope you can get some rest!
ReplyDeleteThis was a tremendous reflection on what goes into being a creative person. I always say, "no pain, no gain!". No matter how talented we may innately be, it takes hours of work and crafting and practice to get it "write"! :)
Love and blessings!
Sulekha- Loved the comment....its indeeed true...
ReplyDeleteAndy- Lolz no doubt ur wife must b upset...:D coz u r soo kind to b present everywhere...:)
Janu- Well janu u can derive inspiration from nywhere to write anything...there s no rule...its jst ur creativity n imagination...
Bring on more...
Love
MAni
Pain, yes but insomnia, don't yet know. Sometimes they both come in a package but sometimes only one chooses to come. Whatever, as Larry has written, passion rules while writing blog posts. And I am like your daughter: I like prose more than poetry. And, I'm so glad to know that you did Literature. I did English too and still doing (teaching).
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling better after writing this post. I bet you do.
Lots of love and hugs.
Joy always,
Susan
well,I don't have insomnia, God forbid!And not only pain but any deeply felt emotion takes the form of poetic words for me.I've done my graduation in 'Creative Writing' From Cambridge University But I actually learned to 'write' from my life.For me Poetry is the best vehicle to express myself.Prose needs a far greater canvas, yet a small poem can outdo a voluminious novel in the matter of content.
ReplyDelete-Portia
Love this post! I don't usually have any trouble sleeping LOL. I find that I read and write the most in the early hours of the morning. When I am not being interrupted, and the stillness of the night is lingering on into the rising of the sun :)
ReplyDeleteI guess we are all crazy to a certain extent.
ReplyDeleteI can relate to this post. Its painfully soulful. Really, it matches with my wavelengths. And yes I guess we writers are creatures of night. Our dopamine works more at night ;) Lovely post. ♥
ReplyDeleteI have a completely different formular;
ReplyDeleteExcitement -> Confusion -> Frustration -> Depression -> Survival struggle(Pain + Insomnia = Inspiration) -> Success -> Happiness.
Why such formula?...it's a long story to be told.....someday.
I don't write poetry, just simple blog. My writing comes from life and a lot of life is pain. I have always found it harder to write about the joys in my life than the hardships. Insomnia is a big part now that I think about it, most of by posts are written in the middle of the night. <3 I love your poetry.
ReplyDeleteOh now I understand you better. I see about three or four of your posts everyday and likes and comments LOL...Almost seems like an eternal vigil to me.
ReplyDeleteBut you know, when the inspiration is there, go ahead and write it down. I admire those who never ran out of something to write about and really takes time to do it. I just hope you have a sense of calm and I pray for your sense of peace so you could take some rest.
About poetry, I like the ones you write. In blogs, I do not think so much of editing nor taking time to analyze the meter and technicalities of poems...thanks God. It's a real break. I just pause and reflect on the content and I feel better.
About pain, not only are poets born but I guess all kinds of artists...real artists who take in its beauty...
Thanks for sharing this Janu :)
I hope you feel better soon! In the mean time keep on writing your poems...we will be here to read it :)
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone for commenting...yes, various formula works for various people.
ReplyDeleteI like Luchissmiles formula...which sometimes happens to be mine too.
But, most of the time what we write is just what we feel straight from the heart and needs no analysis.
Thanks Mellissa..Nelieta, Shreya,Alpana,Jan, Andy, Rimly, Anna, Portia....Hugs to you all.
truth be told, i dont really understand poetry either...i did not major in english lit or ever really study poetry...the only reason i write it is because a commentor told me i should try it...i started writing it and reading it and the rest is history...that was 2 years ago.
ReplyDeletehope you get some sleep
My inspiration is life period - all of it pain, insomnia, craziness, beauty, hatred, war, children and so on and so forth : ). This one really did make me smile : )))
ReplyDelete